Monday, March 28, 2005

Reflections

Now that things are back to normal, we've suddenly become very busy this past week. We had visitors this weekend for the first time in a while, and we've started to even take walks together into downtown Alameda. Jenny has taken charge on a project to replace the foundation of our house. And I've even resumed reading in the bathtub.

Looking back at the past few months, I've come to realize that time is most precious, above all other things. Jenny continues to express disbelief that her father is no longer with us. Like me, she has such a clear picture of him in her mind that it is difficult to think of him as being deceased. I am grateful that my father seems to have avoided the worst with his cancer diagnosis, and so I continue to hold onto the thought that my parents will be around forever. But I know that's just wishful thinking.

And so I've started to do some background research on my father on the internet, focusing on his first few years in the US (1960-1964). Did you know that his first job was working for an New York-based engineering company called Gibbs & Hill. And that he was enrolled in graduate school at Polytechnic Institute of Brooklyn? Obviously, work on my book has started.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home