Sunday, April 30, 2006

Weekend Update - Our New Backyard

The weekend was dominated by relatives. We went to San Francisco on Saturday for our nephew Ethan's Red Egg & Ginger Dinner, and then hosted a barbeque for my cousin Lei-Lei and her kids on Sunday. The best part of the weekend was the first official new backyard outing with Russell and Punky, who enjoyed playing with the Miss Spider sprinkler, jumping down from the rocks on the flower beds and running barefoot on the new grass.

I also finished the second raised (new) Victory Garden bed, which nearly broke my back during its construction. In an ode to recycling, I built it with concrete blocks that came from a dividing wall in the previous version of the backyard. I now have a lot of irregular leftover pieces of concrete and lava rock remaining in the back of the Victory Garden. What should I do with them?


Russell attempts to fill a water can from Miss Spider's spout while Punky approaches with caution (and milk bottle) Posted by Picasa


Punky enjoying our new backyard and garden Posted by Picasa


Russell checks out the Miss Spider water sprinkler in our first official (new) backyard outing Posted by Picasa


My cousin Lei-Lei and her kids stopped by for barbeque and ice cream Posted by Picasa


Victory Garden 2 - The second raised bed is now complete while tomato and zucchini plants spout from the first Posted by Picasa


The Fabulous Brewster Boys contemplate dinner in San Francisco Posted by Picasa

3 Comments:

At 11:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Leftover pieces of brick and pavers? two words.....Fire Pit

 
At 11:54 PM, Blogger Da Man said...

An excellent idea! I'll get working on it this weekend...

 
At 4:00 AM, Blogger Mad Minerva said...

The new backyard looks great! My family had a similar one when I was a kid -- though I'm sure you know that planting zucchinis is like letting a botanical genie out of the bottle. Before long, you're up to your eyeballs in zucchinis and are desperately trying to give them away to all your friends and neighbors. ;-)

And I agree with the fire pit idea! A cousin of mine has one in her backyard: fabulous.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home