Monday, August 08, 2005

Boycotting China and Korea

If you've read my blog, you may know that I try to avoid buying products made in China or Korea. For China, it is difficult or impossible to tell if the product was made using slave or prison labor. The human rights activist Harry Wu has uncovered numerous instances of companies in China using slave labor on products made for export. These include everyday items such as kitchen cookware and hand tools. I will make limited exceptions for some items, such as food and some toys.

As you all know, it is extremely difficult to buy a toy not made in China. Some 80-90% of all toys sold in the US are made in China. However, it can be done if one shops carefully and looks at labels. I'm happy to report that two of Russell's favorite toys are actually made in the US and other Asian countries. Play Doh is still made in the good old USA! And Hot Wheels are made in Thailand and Malaysia.

Korea is a different story. Many of the Korean conglomerates such as Hyundai and Samsung have significant investments in North Korea. Who knows where the money paid to North Korea has gone. Perhaps to feed the North Korean Army? For that reason alone, I will never buy anything made in Korea.

Sometimes, Jenny thinks I'm crazy for boycotting stuff from China and Korea. [One notable exception is with furniture, and Jenny likes the fact that our furniture is made in North Carolina.] But sometimes, you have to act with your conscience.

4 Comments:

At 7:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Off topic for this post but I wanted you to see it. This just sickens and saddens me. President Reagan was one of the finest, honorable men we have had. This little creep should be suited up and sent to Iraq to learn the meaning of what it is to be an American...

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=45663

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger Rob said...

I knew about the ChiCom stuff, but I did not know South Korean companies had major investments in Nork Nation! Arg! I guess now I'll start boycotting Korean products as well. And I really, really like Samsung products, too!

 
At 11:03 PM, Blogger True San Franciscian said...

Avoiding ChiCom or So/Nork (Sork?) products is hard!

Harder than going on a diet, that's for sure...

 
At 9:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You got outstanding blog.
Hello Offers and buyers,
Let me tell you some trade portal site which managed by original korean official trade
agency called kotra. Kotra launched buykoreacourt international trade for helping trade products.
This cool site offers trade leads as well Products.
You may have a chance to increase your business.
great buyers looking for your products.
Mind do not miss opportunity on buykorea

 

Post a Comment

<< Home