Friday, August 05, 2005

Relatives from China

We've had some guests over the house this week. My Aunt and Uncle from China stayed with us on their latest visit to the US. Unfortunately, they don't speak English very well, and my Chinese is very bad. But luckily, Jenny speaks Mandarin and she ran herself ragged translating everything for me.

My Aunt lived with my Grandmother in Shanghai until she passed away just two years ago at the ripe old age of 99. She also was the one of the last persons to see my Grandfather (whom I never met) alive after he spent 10 years in a Chinese gulag. I was told that he died from cancer shortly after his release from prison in 1967. You'll be able to find out more about my family in my upcoming book.


This is my Aunt Number 7 from China Posted by Picasa

3 Comments:

At 5:57 PM, Blogger Rob said...

Wait a minute, Communist China has a gulag? But aren't they on the esteemed United Ninnies Human Rights Commission? Hmm, the ironies abound.

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger Da Man said...

It's a sad reality that many Chinese gulag victims themselves will not speak on the record of their ordeal. I had to pry out the story of my grandfather's imprisonment out of them, with great difficulty. I am still trying to get the details, but it pains them to tell me.

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Rob said...

I have no doubt it pains them. It's much like some of the men who fought in WWII or Vietnam or various other wars, they go to their graves without ever speaking of what they saw/experienced.

The things the ChiComs do to their own people is horrific. But it isn't surprising. The Soviets did the same, the Cubans, North Koreans, Burmese, Saudis, Egyptians, Belorussians, and now the Venezuelans. What do all these countries have in common? Undemocratic, authoritarian, dictatorial, and/or communist governments.

It's truly evil what goes on inside Communist China and North Korea. There is no other way to describe it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home