Friday, January 06, 2006

How to Annoy a Liberal

The answer is: Tell him or her the truth.

In this case, a Pulitzer-Prize winning journalist named Michael Hiltzik of the LA Times found it necessary to remove my comments on his Golden State/LA Times blog. He states:

As commenters to this blog--and especially to my recent posts on partisan criticism of the press--are well aware, my policy on comments has always been exceedingly tolerant. Comments have been welcomed and have been unmoderated, even when the opinions they express are immoderate. Throughout this week, I have seen fit to delete almost no comments on a topic that has provoked intense and sometimes quite emotional reaction on all sides.

One commenter has now queered this setup for everybody. Despite my polite request to him to cease posting inappropriately, he has continued to do so. Therefore, comments to this blog will be moderated, by me, hopefully temporarily. My intention is not to block comments simply because they're critical, even when they're pointed and, in my opinion, wrong. The purpose is merely to keep one particular user from fouling the whole pond. (You know who you are.)
My crime in this case was to state the declining circulation figures at his employer, the LA Times, as an indicator of reader discontent. As a public service, I reminded Hiltzik and his blog readers that the LA Times' circulation declined 6.5% in 2005, which if applied to current circulation levels, would mean a drop in subscribers from 907,000 to 849,000 in 2006. Sobering numbers, especially for a business writer like Mr. Hiltzik.

What triggered all this was the yearly review of the LA Times from a blogger named Patterico, who has for years pointed out the liberal bias of the once-proud newspaper. When it came out late last month, I read Patterico's detailed and compelling analysis of the LA Times' biased news coverage in 2005, and then thought little of it since I don't read the LA Times very often. Then, I read the transcript of an interview of Mr. Hiltzik by radio talk show host Hugh Hewitt, where Hiltzik had a meltdown on the air, and basically couldn't admit that he's a liberal that voted for John Kerry.

I went back to Patterico's blog, and found reporter Hiltzik's response to the critique of the LA Times. Mr. Hiltzik came out with guns blazing, comparing Patterico (real name: Patrick Frey) to Stalin and basically calling anyone who supported Patterico's criticisms "brain dead" and "ignorant". Since I believe Patterico's assertions, that makes me a neanderthal in Mr. Hiltzik's eyes.

So I went back to Mr. Hiltzik's site yesterday and today, and pointed out his employer's declining circulation in a few comments as an indication of increasing reader dissatisfication. Soon thereafter, either Mr. Hiltzik or his blog moderator decided to remove my posts without warning, and then posted the statement on comments above. Contrary to his assertion, I received no warnings on the inappropriateness of my posts.

The moral of the story is that liberals despise the fact that ordinary people such as Patrick Frey and yours truly can challenge the biased newscoverage of the major media with facts and evewitnesses, and can make our voices heard to those willing to listen to reason. Through the fine work of Patterico and Hugh Hewitt, we can observe the hypocritical liberal in action, as he attempts to squelch our opinions through name-calling and outright censorship.

To conclude, I leave you with a quote from the late civil-rights activist Stokely Carmichael: "What the liberal really wants is to bring about change which will not in any way endanger his position. Now that I realize how phony they all were, how I hate myself for it."

That, my friends, is a perfect description of the modus operandi of one liberal named Michael Hiltzik, reporter for the Los Angeles Times.

UPDATE: I just received the following message from Michael Hiltzik.
"As you know, my comment thread is open to a wide range of opinion, not all of it complimentary. But I draw the line at comments like yours that are too stupid to countenance. There's a difference between my column and my blog; the column is off for another week. The blog, obviously, is open. You want to make a sensible, intelligent comment, fine. But don't fabricate a lie, and don't try to give me orders about what can and can't be posted. I'm sending this to you as a courtesy and hope you will take it as such; as you know, I've left all your other posts intact."
Simply pathetic.

10 Comments:

At 11:27 AM, Blogger Da Man said...

I don't remember the exact text. The guy deleted them all after a few hours or minutes.

 
At 12:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Times' latest circulation decline is is well known.

If you correctly stated the numbers, then what is he accusing you of lying about?

You may not remember the exact text, but you certainly remember the general content of the deleted posts.

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger ChiLois said...

Thank you for your posts. Belated Blessed New Year to you and yours. Thanks also for the American Thinker post. Lois

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger Da Man said...

I stated the circulation figures above, and then added that I thought they were due to the lousy reporting in its pages.

I think I may have also pointed to my donut blog (www.dunkindonutstalk.com). Perhaps he is a Starbucks coffee drinker.

 
At 7:29 AM, Blogger Specter said...

Hey...I went back to HitzKillers site and posted the fact that he was censoring posts and calling people liars. I reiterated the fact about the declining circulation. Guess what? Within an hour my post disappeared. Imagine that.

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger Specter said...

I have now had 3 posts deleted by Hiltzik. It is kind of fun to see how far I can push him before he bans my IP. LOL. But the fact is that da man obviously struck a very raw nerve when he brought up the circulation decline...

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Da Man said...

Specter,

To a liberal, the truth hurts.

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger Mad Minerva said...

I'll add too that another way to annoy a liberal is to make a reasoned, rational, polite argument of facts. Simply disagree -- politely -- and watch the fireworks. Some extremists might find the truth annoying, but it's even more so if you present it in a calm manner. Sometimes he/she will then flip out entirely and say absolutely hysterical things.

I had the (dubious) pleasure of seeing this happen in person last summer -- within 5 minutes the other person was shrieking with rage and calling me a "Republican oppressor." Imagine that, a white man accusing an Asian woman of being an "oppressor"! Darn funny.

 
At 1:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

florida car insurance
car insurance ny
compare car insurance
new york car insurance
infinity car insurance
compare car insurance rate
buy car insurance
car insurance houston
auto insurance quote
norwich union car insurance
car insurance for mexico
car insurance los angeles
car insurance n
texas car insurance
affordable car insurance
infinity car insurance
infinity car insurance
car
insurance philadelphia

in car insurance
car accident insurance
young driver car insurance
compare car insurance rate
car insurance
washington car insurance
progressive car insurance
antique car insurance
rental car insurance
instant car insurance quote
online auto insurance quote
discount car insurance

http://cheap-car-insurance.quickfreehost.com

Random Keyword: :)
texas car insurance

 
At 2:59 AM, Blogger John said...

mulberry
yeezy shoes
fitflops sale clearance
mbt
kate spade handbags
coach factory outlet online
pandora jewelry
canada goose jackets
michael kors outlet store
longchamp outlet
20180912yuanyuan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home