Wednesday, October 23, 2002

Vote Early and Vote Often - Election Day is coming up, and it's time to wade through another massive voter's guide filled with spending proposals galore. On this year's Oakland ballot alone, there are 33 separate local ballot measures--this doesn't even include countless state propositions that propose to suck more and more out of my bank account each year. These days, I make my life easier by usually voting 'no' on any ballot measure that proposes to either raise taxes or issue revenue (re: tax) bonds.

Some issues require a little investigating before getting a 'Chen Veto'. One such ballot measure is Measure FF, which proposes to raise hotel, utility and parking taxes to hire 100 additional Oakland cops. In situations like this, I ask myself the question, "What would a liberal do?" and then do the opposite. Case in point:

Former Black Panther and Oakland resident Bobby Seale says that more cops is not the answer and is against Measure FF. Seale is one of the founders of the Black Panther Party, a party that promoted revolution and the violent overthrow of the U.S. Government. He was also a defendant in the Chicago Seven trial with other "revolutionaries" like Tom Hayden.

I think I'll vote 'yes' on Measure FF.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home