Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Question of the Day


Who is this man on the left? Posted by Picasa

The man on my left is my uncle, Dr. H.D Chen from Shenyang, China. He was in town for a meeting of the American Academy of Dermatology.

During the Cultural Revolution, my Uncle was purged by the Communists and spent 10 years in exile on a farm in the middle of nowhere. His only crimes were that he was university-educated, the son of a landowner, and his older brother (my father) lived in the United States.

At around the same time, his father (my Grandfather) was convicted of being a "capitalist roader" and sentenced to a long term in the Chinese gulag. Unfortunately, he did not survive.

3 Comments:

At 7:52 PM, Blogger Rob said...

Who's yo' daddy?

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger Da Man said...

Close! It's my father's younger brother, who was in town for the meeting of the American Academy of Dermatology. Dr. H.D. Chen, my uncle, is the one of the leading dermatologists in China, and the President of the Chinese Society of Dermatologists.

 
At 8:14 PM, Blogger Rob said...

Such a sad, painful family history. And people actually wonder why I hate the Chinese government.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home