Monday, March 25, 2002

Job Hunt Update - I have an interview tomorrow with Williams-Sonoma that should last most of the day. Unfortunately, I have an offsite meeting with a vendor that I will have to miss. I don't feel sneaky at all about looking for another job, even though I'll have to call my boss tomorrow about a "family emergency" in order to weasel out of the meeting. He's not going to be happy when he hears about this. The Williams-Sonoma job represents just a lateral move for my career. That's the story of my life. In all my past jobs, I've only been promoted when I've put a gun to the head of the management (figuratively speaking, of course) and forced them to decide whether or not they want to keep me. Either promote me or I'll jump ship, I've said several times in my career. I've always been successful in this respect.

Sooner or later, I'm going to have to make a choice in my career direction towards either money or job satisfaction. So far, these two have nearly zero correlation. With the baby along the way, I am of course leaning towards the money (and job stability). In fifteen years of working, I have made zero progress towards a meaningful and an emotionally satisfying career. I already know that I would love to be working on a college campus in any one of a myriad of roles: admissions director, assistant athletic director, dean of students--you name it, I've applied for the job, but to no avail. To this day, I wonder how my career would have changed had I accepted that teaching job in Japan when I finished graduate school. Jenny thinks I am crazy, of course.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home