Monday, November 11, 2002

Double Vision - As Jenny and I watch Russell grow up, we've noticed that the double eyelids on his eyes sometimes disappear. Sometimes, it appears only on one eye (left or right) or it disappears completely from both eyes. I think it's interesting that Russell can change the appearance of his eyes after a long nap or when he cries a lot.

For those of you not in the know, many Asians consider double eyelids--the folds on top of the eye--desirable because they give the eye a larger, more Western appearance. It's fairly common in Asians, but those with double eyelids are definitely in the minority. As a result of these factors, double eyelid surgery is the most-performed cosmetic surgical procedure in the world and the third most common in the United States. I personally know at least three people who've had the operation.

The notion that Asians prefer a more Western look for their eyes and are willing to undergo surgery for vanity's sake has sparked some controversy in the Asian-American community. Some believe that the procedure is an attempt to hide or deny one's Asian heritage by conforming to Western ideals of beauty. A large majority of those undergoing the procedure are women, and therefore face the scrutiny of their peers.

In our family, I have a double eyelid while Jenny does not. Personally, I don't care if Jenny or Russell has a double eyelid. As I crooned to Jenny on our wedding day: "Don't go changing, to try to please me...I love you just the way you are."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home